We need to discuss some things here today.
I am prematurely turning into an old person. And by old I am talking mid-70’s. There abouts.
1) I fell down the stairs yesterday morning. I stepped on the cat and tumbled down the stairs. Like an old person. Some how I managed to pull some sort of muscle in my chest, because I decided to grab for the wall because I figured that would catch my fall…because I am spider woman if you didn’t know. I didn’t know either. So that super human power failed me. I ended up with just a sharp pain just right of my breast bone…that is still there by the way. Old.
The cat. Stanley was limping, but seems fine now. I think the limp was exaggerated to make me feel bad. The cat was totally milking it.
2) I wake up before the sun rises on my days off. Before my alarm. Yes, I set an alarm for my days off. I don’t like sleeping in. Old.
3) I like scotch, and whiskey, and bourbon. Old people drink these…I should be drinking cosmos or pina coladas or other fufu drink, like other twenty year olds. But no. I have no idea where or how I started to enjoy these. It just happened.
4) I crave coffee after dinner. The only people ever in my life to drink coffee after dinner were my grandparents. Old.
5) I like to bake more than your grandmother. I spend more time in an apron than I would like to admit. I am cuter than your grandma…maybe. Grandmas are pretty darn cute…with their gray hair and wrinkles and polyester pants.
6) I LOVE cardigans with large buttons and pockets. I wear them year round. The only thing separating me from being an honest to goodness old lady is the fact that Kleenex do not live inside said pockets. At least not on most days.
I have come to the conclusion that when I get to be 70, God willing, I will be awesome at it. Probably better at being 70 than being 28 (almost 29). I am OK at being 28, I might even say I am good at it…but at 28, life is still up in the air. Right now, sometimes I feel like I am just aimlessly walking….aimlessy wandering is fun, but scary, a bit frightening, and a tad frustrating. I am cool with it. This is real life. I am not the only one in this boat…I have quite a few friends rowing along with me. We are having a grand time, on most days.
My 70 year old self is laughing right now…because she is awesome and happy with how life has turned out. She is whispering to just go with it, enjoy the ride, and take it all in. She is saying to chase after what scares me the most, because those are the most worthwhile opportunities. Those moments are what life is about.
Dear 70-year-old Mallory…
Your 29 year old self is working on it. Seriously.
While I am on this ride called life, thank goodness there are brownies to eat along the way. What is a good adventure without snacks? Am I right? I know I am right. Sorry, that was cocky…but there are just some things I am sure of. This is one of them. Snacks are my favorite part of any occasion. And these are kick butt….rich fudgy chocolate brownies with peanut butter frosting. The brownies are top-notch without the frosting, but I am a frosting girl on my brownies. Always.
I hope you have milk in your fridge…
Brownies with PB Frosting
Makes 9 x 13 inch pan
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 6 Ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon Espresso Powder (optional)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, tightly packed
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 Tablespoon Butter, melted
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar Sifted to remove clumps
- 1 Cup + 1 Tablespoon Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt