If some how or some way, I was left, stranded on a deserted island with only water and crackers to drink and eat for the rest of my life (or until rescue)…I would be A-OK with this meal plan. I LOVE crackers and while I would prefer iced tea or maybe Diet Coke, water would be suitable on a deserted island. Suppose the deserted island would be supplied with sun block? I’d die of sunburn before thirst.
But crackers…crackers would actually be a top 3 food if given the choice. I have to hide them from myself, on shelves in which I would need a step stool to even catch a glimpse of them ( I am fair skinned and short)…they sit next to the nut butters. I have issues. I used to eat sleeves of Townhouse as a child. Clubhouse are my favorite. Ritz are best for soups.
I hoard them in my desk. Stuff my lab coat pockets with saltines with each trip through the cafeteria. Yes, I admit it, I steal and hoard crackers.
They are crunchy and flaky and salty. Good alone. Slathered with pb. Layered with cheese. I prefer them to croutons in salads. Crumbled in soup. Crushed in chili. The shape doesn’t matter…square, round, rectangular, hexagonal, fishy.
Any which way you shake it…I LOVE CRACKERS.
So, why shouldn’t I make my own? That is what I thought Saturday when I was having an uncontrollable carb craving moment, but the thought of changing from my sweatpants and exchanging slippers for socks and shoes and venturing out into the blustery January afternoon (and really, it was more spring-like than Ohio is accustom to in January, so I was really just being lazy) for a box of crackers, well it didn’t exactly seem ideal. Therefore, of course, I made my own…full of butter and cheese and sprinkled with salt.
I made almond butter cheese cracker sandwiches.
Crushed a handful in my tomato soup.
And snuck one with each trip through the kitchen.
I have no hope.
They are now hidden from view…alongside the nut butters. Cupboard beside fridge, top shelf, and pushed back – out of view. I think there are some M&Ms up there and perhaps a box of Oreos.
|Sharp Cheddar Cheese Crackers|
- 8 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, finely shredded
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter,room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- about 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt for topping (optional…I like salt)
- Sift together flour, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Beat together butter and cheese. Don’t worry, it will come together into a butter cheese ball.
- With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture and continue to beat until dough forms into a ball. Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to form into a uniformed dough ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out until it is very thin…about a 1/8 inch thickness. Using a small cookie cutter or the top of a spice jar(what I used), cut out cracker rounds and place them on a prepared bakings sheet. They can be placed close to each other because they won’t spread much. Using a fork, prick holes into the top of the crackers and then sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Place in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, but are best the day of.