Dude, this is going to be quick…
It is marathon weekend! Well, a half for me and a full for others…but anyway you look at it…there are miles to cover and fun to be had!
I have a playlist to make – which, by the time I am done making it, will be more fitting for a 70 year old who needs pumped up for a few laps around the mall and not the 20 something girl that will be wearing a sparkle skirt and mouse ears Saturday morning, knocking out 13.1 miles.
I have to pack. Like, find my flip flops and contact case. Bathing suit? In mid-January? Yikes. These legs are white. Like blinding pasty white…a white that only exists on the legs of Ohioans in mid-January. Sunglasses…if not for the sun, then for the glare coming from my kneecaps. And sunscreen…large vats of the goop – see pasty whiteness above.
I have Thursday night TV to watch….Big Bang and Grey’s is new this week. I am a TV nerd without a DVR….
Important stuff people…and I have to get you this scone recipe, because seriously…you need to make these this weekend!
Gather ingredients. Different sized bowls and corralling ingredients makes me one very happy person. The dirtying of more dishes…well, that is another story. Cinnamon sugar topping. Roasted pecans. Butter and flour. Egg, vanilla, and cream. Cinnamon chips. It is all there.
Cinnamon chips and roasted chopped pecans…these are where it is at! Pecans. Roasted. Cinnamon. Morsels. Oy.
Next comes the egg, cream, and vanilla. It is about to get messy. Like, next time I am putting down a drop cloth, messy. I am a disaster in the kitchen.
Dump and shape.
Scone wedges…now we are getting somewhere.
The topping is piled high. And scattered about.
Ta-dah! Check out that blue coffee cup…it holds like zero coffee, but it is so darn dainty and pretty and blue. Absolutely the favorite thing in my kitchen right now….which means I will break it soon.
Disney here we come!
|Cinnamon Chip Pecan Scones|
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, diced and chilled
- 3/4 Cup Cinnamon Chips
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/3 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, mix together ingredients for topping and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add butter chunks and use your fingers or a pastry blender and cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse sand.
- Fold in cinnamon chips and roasted pecans. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, vanilla, and heavy cream. Pour over the flour and butter mixture and mix together with a fork until the dough comes together – don’t over mix and it will be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and shape dough into a round that is about 1 inch thick. Cut the round into 8 even wedges. Transfer wedges to a parchment lined baking sheet ( they may be difficult to handle, I used a spatula for easier transfer).
- Top scones with equal amounts of cinnamon sugar topping.
- Bake scones in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature.