I made these two weeks ago. Ya know, when I was supposed to be packing for my trip to Seattle (pics to come soon, promise), but was putting it off because I hate packing. I figured baking from a new cookbook, that I picked up at the used book store for more than half off, was much more essential to life than packing for a trip that was taking flight in less than 24 hours. A trip to a used book store when I should have been picking up travel size toothpastes and a new toothbrush carrier…but wasn’t because used book stores are way more fun than the bathroom isle at Target. Just sayin’.
I procrastinate with packing from start to finish. And unpacking…don’t even get me started. I am staring at the suitcase right now. Right where I left it 3 days ago and honestly where it will remain for days/weeks to come. I need help.
Am I the only one that hates to stuff, and yes I mean stuff in literal terms, clothes and toiletrettes into a piece of luggage that will be your dresser for the next few days/weeks/months? I seriously dread this part of vacation. How am I supposed to know what I will need? I can’t see into the future. I don’t know the exact weather – the 10 day forecast is only so accurate. I don’t know the dress code to all the restaurants we will dine in. And shoes. How many pairs is too many? And I have to keep it under 50lbs or I will be charged what? Seriously? Therefore, I tend to overpack if I am heading to a place for the first time. And I will always forget something…generally a hairbrush or socks or mascara. It is just annoying…and not fun. And a whole lot of decision making. And I am Miss Indecisive. Just ask anyone who has asked me to pick a place for dinner…
Is there a help group for indecisive people?
Baking and used book stores are way more fun. These are two places where decisions are easy to make. Bake the cookies, buy the book. Done. Easy.
- 1 + 1/2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 + 1/4 Cup + 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar, plus extra for dusting.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 8 x 8inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a bit overhang the edges. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and 1 Cup sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), remembering to scraped down the sides of the bowl as you go along.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Empty dough into middle of prepared pan and with a spoon/spatula/fingers, evenly spread dough out into prepared pan. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to firm.
- Remove from freezer and with a fork, prick holes all over dough. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 to 22 minutes until just firm to touch.
- Remove from oven and while still hot, cut cookies into squares or rectangles, and liberally sprinkle with extra granulated sugar.
- Let cookies cool completely.
adapted from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook