So this post is mainly about running and livers, and only a little bit about muffins.
First, the running and livers. I am doing another half-marathon this coming January. At Disney. Like, THE DISNEY WORLD. Like, in Florida. Like, I have never been to Disney and I am pretty sure running through the parks is the best way to see them ( I also apply this to cities, fyi). Like, I am pretty damn excited about this whole shabang.
But guess, what? I need your help. Yes, you! We can do this.
You see…I am running the half-marathon as part of the Liver Life Challenge, Team Cleveland. This time around…I am running a race to help others. So, while getting to run at Disney is exciting (OK, downright magical), getting to help people is the real reason I am logging the miles.
Did you know that 30 million Americans are affected by liver disease? We are talking men, women, and children. Wives, husbands, kids, aunts, sisters, brothers, moms, and dads. These are the people I am running for. These are the same people you can help, too. How can you help? By donating. By sponsoring me. I’ll run – that I have totally under control, but I need your help in the form of cold hard cash.
In order to run, at Disney, in January. In order to help those in need. I need to raise $3,400 by December. No small feat, and that is why I need your help! This is where you come in…it is simple and painless. Promise. Just click on this link, and then click on the ‘Sponsor Me’ tab. In less than five minutes, you will be helping. And that is awesome. If you are unable to give at the moment, if you could pass this along to those that can or would be interested, that would be appreciated beyond belief. Thanks!
Now, let me switch gears. Pumpkin muffins…I love a good hearty pumpkin muffin. I adore everything about them. The color. That deep burnt orange…it is the official color of fall. Am I right? I think I am right. Wait. I know I am right.
Sorry, I am a bit cocky today. It’s the muffins talking.
Did I just say cocky on my blog? Oh geez, I just said it again.
The flavor…pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg .. matches made in heaven. And let us not just talk about the flavors…what about the heavenly scent they create when they are combined. It is like Captain Planet, but as a hero of baking. Does that even make sense? With the powers combined…I don’t know. Do you even know what/who Captain Planet is? I can not be the only one to have watched this show after school…I think it came on at 4pm. It was replaced with Oprah when I got older. Yeah, I replaced Captain Planet with Oprah. And I am still looking for a replacement for Oprah. I started this paragraph talking about spices and ended with Oprah. Oy.
What I am trying to say is…make these muffins. And while the muffins are baking…head on over to my Liver Life Challenge page and sponsor me. While you click away, I will be logging a few more miles!
|Liver Life Challenge…Oh! and Pumpkin Muffins.|
- 1 + 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree (make sure you get pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, tightly packed
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin tins with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs, and brown sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently mix just until combined.
- Fold in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among muffin cups, each should be about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for five minutes before removing muffins from tin and letting muffins completely cool.
These are great slathered with cinnamon honey butter. Yeah, cinnamon honey butter. To make : combine 1 stick of butter, 1/4 to 1/3 cup of powdered sugar (depending on your sweetness likeness), 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)and 2 tablespoons honey. Beat ingredients together until well blended. Chill.