Cookies make life better.
It is a simple fact.
A fact in life that I am 189% sure of. And I am not sure of a lot of things.
But cookies…Cookies I know. Cookies are a sure thing. Cookies make life better.
Cookies are meant for sack lunches, brown paper bags and field trips. Lunch rooms and cafeterias. Packed by loving parents. Baked the night before.
Cookies are meant to bring smiles to faces, young and old. They sweeten a hard day at work or school. Midnight binge eating was designed with cookies in mind.
Everyone has a favorite type. A favorite add-in. A preferred texture. It is one question that most people have a definite answer to. Chocolate chip. Oatmeal raisin. Shortbread. Peanut Butter.
I am a girl that likes a cookie with chocolate…and yes, I know, if we are keeping track…this is about the fifth chocolate cookie on this site. What can I say…I know what I like.
Cocoa powder. Semi-sweet chocolate. Mini Chocolate chips. Three types of chocolate = triple chocolate cookies. Thick and chewy.
Forewarning…a tall glass of cold milk is necessary. And if you are like me…make it chocolate.
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder (not natural)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 16 Ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoon Instant Espresso Powder
- 10 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1+1/2 Cups Packed Light Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- 2 Cups Mini Chocolate Chips
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate in a medium bowl placed over a pan of simmering water. Stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In another bowl, gently beat together eggs and vanilla. Sprinkle espresso powder over eggs and vanilla to dissolve.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter (medium speed) until smooth and creamy. Beat in both sugars and mix until combined.
- Reduce speed of mixer to low and gradually add egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Slowly pour in melted chocolate and mix until incorporated. At this time, take a rubber spatula and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- With mixer on low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for ½ hour until consistency is scoop-able.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop cookie dough by rounded spoonful (cookie scoop) onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. The edges will be set and the centers will be soft. Remove from oven and let sit on trays for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
* adapted from Baking Illustrated.