I made myself a legit dinner.
There was no cereal. No avocado egg sandwich. No popcorn. No cookie dough or brownies. No ‘big salad’ (can they bring Seinfeld back?) No frozen soup from the depths of my freezer. Multiple popsicles? Nah.
You see, on most evenings, I don’t make dinner. Nor do I want to, unless it is cookie dough, then I am totally there! Rarely is there meat and potatoes. Or a side dish alongside an entree. I don’t even do take-out or take advantage of the pizza delivery system. Nope. I pour a bowl of cereal with a splash of almond milk or toast a pita round, slather it with smashed up avocado, and top with an egg. …it is the easy way out and leaves me with no leftovers. Total win win. Wives and mothers out there…how do you serve a meal each and every night? Dear future husband…Please don’t expect a full blown meal each night…you will be extremely disappointed when cereal is on the menu. Just a heads up. Dessert though, that will always happen…
Now don’t fret, there are some nights when I actually get my game together and whip up an actual complete meal. It is never planned and generally follows an overly ambitious grocery trip. Like when I find myself putting groceries away (worst part, right?) and wonder who put all this actual food in my cart…chicken thighs? Shrimp? You really bought ground beef? Who were you in the grocery? It is like I don’t even know you/me! Did you even buy more cereal? We need more cereal not a whole freakin’ chicken! Yeah, this happens.
And this is how I came upon making and then thoroughly enjoying a shrimp curry over basmati rice. Months ago I bought curry paste and it has been sitting in my cupboard staring at me and finding its way to the front, no matter how many times I hide it behind cans of broth and tuna. See, my off the wall grocery excursions taunt me months after they occur. But that curry paste… had I just waited to purchase it until when I randomly bought a pound of shrimp, this whole meal would have looked like it was planned. Ha! Someday. Can we pretend?
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste
- 8 oz. Clam Juice
- 1 Can Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 Large Handful Cilantro, rough chop
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Basmati Rice for serving
- Place curry paste in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Begin to cook until paste becomes fragrant, several minutes.
- Add coconut milk and clam juice and whisk until paste is dissolved. Bring sauce to a boil and cook until sauce thickens, stirring frequently. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon without dripping off. This should take 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add slices of red bell pepper and cook for an additional 3 minutes, until bell peppers are softened.
- Add shrimp to sauce and cook until shrimp turn pink, an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!