OK, so I spent the weekend kinda sorta camping. But not really at all. Home camping. Is that such a thing? Well, it is now.
And I don’t mean pitching a tent in the backyard…even though that was fun when we were ten.
I am not going to get into the particulars of the weekend because, well…it wasn’t flattering. For anyone involved. To put things simply, my parent’s home was hit by the storms over the weekend. Trees came down, holes in porches happened, and power lines were severed. Leaving the residents of our small town (and pretty much the entire state of Ohio and beyond) without power. And in my small town, no power = no water. The wonders of well water people. Enter this overwhelming sensation of camping, but not. Maybe if we had made s’mores or built a campfire…but we didn’t.
A few tidbits to keep in mind when your power goes out…
1) This is the time when it is totally OK to eat all that ice cream in the freezer. It will be the first to go. So, invite neighbors and have an impromptu ice cream social…what else are you going to do?
2) Know where your UNO cards or Monopoly board is…this may be your only entertainment.
3) Learn how to open and close/lock your garage door without electricity. Do this now, when you have power…you will need this skill. Promise.
4) If you aren’t a fan of roughing it…buy a generator. But that is cheating.
5) Always keep fresh batteries in your flashlights. It will get dark inside fast. Like, real fast.
6) Candles are a great light source….and make the whole situation more romantic than it really is. Oh, and if you had a grandmother like mine, great entertainment for children.
7) Find the funny. Otherwise you will focus on the unpleasantness of it all.
8) Know where your car phone charger is…your phone will be your only distraction, keep it charged.
9) You can totally make coffee using a grill. Add Bailey’s to that coffee and your day without power will start much smoother. Promise.
Thankfully, my parents got power back on Monday evening and besides losing a tree, a bit of damage to the porch, and losing the entire contents of the fridge/freezer…they are OK. It definitely could have been worse. Much worse.
You wanna know what is great during a power outage? Cake. How about black raspberry and peach cake…yeah, sure why not. When making this, I didn’t have a power outage in mind…nopers, I was thinking of eating this poolside all weekend, with maybe a dollop of whipped cream…but instead we ate in the dark with warm diet coke. So much for plans!
Black Raspberry and Peach Summer Cake
Makes a 9 x 13in. cake
1+ 1/2 Sticks (3/4 Cup) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 + 1/4 Cup White Granulated Sugar, divided
1 + 1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
1 + 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 + 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 + 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 + 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
4 Medium Peaches; peeled, pitted, and evenly sliced
1 Pint Fresh Black Raspberries