If you have been following me on Instagram, you will have noticed my Friday evening Irish Happy Hour.
I will have you know, I continued that happy hour when I awoke Saturday morning. Irish coffee and cinnamon sugar toast. It gets better…the piece of bread that I toasted was none other than the heel of the loaf. Fist pump. The coffee, french press. Double fist pump. The entertainment, Dirty Dancing ( it is back on Netflix, baby!) I am just pumping my fists in the air at this point.
Living right on a Saturday morning.
But let me stop talking so you can start drinking.
Irish Whiskey. Jameson is my go to. I honestly don’ t know of any other. Who wants to school me? I am up for some learning (and tasting!)
Brown sugar for sweetness .
Everything lined up and out and ready makes drink mixing a breeze. It actually makes baking and cooking easier too.
Just a tablespoon. A lot for this coffee with cream girl.
Coffee. Drip. French Press. Keurig. Vacuum. Brew it. Keep it hot.
You guessed it…pour it. My favorite sight of any morning (or afternoon or evening).
Fill to about 3/4th full or a smidgen less. Less means more cream later.
Whiskey in. Stir. Butter toast and sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar. Slice in to triangles because that is how mom did it.
Heavy cream. Whisk for about one minute just prior to pouring ever so gently over the bottom side of a spoon. The cream layer is called a cuff.
Take one more crooked picture for good measure.
And when you can take it no longer ….
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
- An Irish Blessing
- 1 cup of Freshly Brewed Hot Coffe
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 + ½ Ounces Irish Whiskey (Jamison) = 3 Tablespoon or 1 jigger
- Heavy Cream, slightly whipped – whisked for about one minute immediately before using (about ¼ cup per serving)
- Fill a mug about ¾ full with hot coffee. Add brown sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
- Gently pour in Irish whiskey and stir.
- Ever so gently, pour slightly whipped cream over a spoon onto the top of the coffee.
- Serve hot and drink immediately – pulling the hot whiskey coffee through the slightly whipped cream.